Belmont UMC is hiring for the position of Pastor of Youth and Young Adults.
Send resumes to Paul Purdue.
Job Title: Pastor of Youth and Young Adults
Type: Full-time, exempt
Hours: 40+ hours per week; hours are flexible during normal weekday business hours; remote or field work to be coordinated with your supervisor.
Salary range is $46,000 - $54,000 plus a generous benefit package including health insurance and retirement, based on experience and clergy status.
Reports to: Senior Pastor. All positions ultimately are under the leadership of the Senior Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Summary: Belmont United Methodist Church is a community of Christ-followers growing in love of God and neighbor. This is what we at Belmont UMC believe Christian discipleship is, what we are to be, and what Jesus meant when he sent his followers to “make disciples.” We believe every person is of sacred worth and created in God’s image. We commit to Jesus’ example of inclusive love, care, and intentional hospitality with persons of every race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, faith story, physical or mental ability, economic status, or political perspective. We respect our diversity of opinion and expressions of faith. Therefore, as God loves us, so let us love and serve in the name of Christ.
The Youth Pastor supports this mission by serving as the principal resource person for the youth and young adult ministries at Belmont United Methodist Church (BUMC); serves in an advocacy role for those ministries; providing general oversight of them and assists youth and young adult partners in ministry in planning, coordination, evaluation and leadership. This is a professional, program-staff position.
The Pastor with Youth and Young Adults should enable the youth, young adults, and their families at Belmont UMC to gain knowledge and understanding of what it means to grow in love of God and neighbor. In doing so, the Pastor with Youth and Young Adult’s responsibilities are as follows:
- Initiates, directs, plans, encourages, assists with, and evaluates the Youth and Young Adult ministries and facilitates creative and innovative programs at BUMC.
- Coordinates youth and young adult Sunday School classes, UMY, Midweek@Belmont, Youth Small Groups, Youth Small Groups, and other youth faith formation.
- Plans, organizes and conducts Confirmation with the Director of Children’s Ministries and ministry staff.
- Recruits, trains, evaluates, supervises, assists, and thanks Partners in Ministry.
- Plans the yearly calendar for youth and young adult ministries, in collaboration with other Program Staff and the youth council and young adult leadership teams.
- Facilitates planning, organizing, and leading of youth and young adult retreats, special events, mission trips, and service projects.
- Equips parents/guardians to be the primary disciplers of their youth, and communicates with parents/guardians about the activities of the youth ministry and the spiritual and personal growth of their youth.
- Supervises, equips and empowers ministry interns to assist in and lead ministry programs.
- Empowers and advocates for youth and young adults to have active leadership responsibilities in the broader congregation.
- Organizes the Youth Council by recruiting members, developing meeting agendas and equipping and supporting members in the implementation of ministry ideas generated by the Youth Council.
- Organizes Young Adult leadership team by recruiting members, developing meeting agendas and equipping and supporting members in the implementation of ministry ideas generated by the Young Adult leadership team.
- Works with the Director of Music Ministries to support and advocate for youth choir and youth bells.
- Assists in weekly worship planning and advocates for youth, young adults, families, and partners in ministry leadership in weekly worship services.
- Works with Golden Triangle Fellowship (GTF) leadership to facilitate relationships and invite and include GTF youth, young adults, and their families in the youth and young adult ministries of BUMC as appropriate.
- Works with GTF leadership to support GTF youth and young adult ministries and offer pastoral care for GTF youth and young adults as appropriate.
- Orders and oversees curriculum and supplies of youth and young adult ministries.
- Serves as an advocate for youth, young adults, and their families by providing support, understanding and pastoral care as needed. Recommends, as appropriate, community resources.
- Keeps in contact with and ministering to BUMC’s college-age students.
- Communicates and promotes youth and young adult events to the broader congregation and community when/as appropriate.
- Writes and distributes weekly newsletter for youth and their families.
- Communicates with young adults through GroupMe and other communication methods.
- Serves as first point of contact reaching out and welcoming any new young adults and/or youth and seeks to connect them to ministry programs.
- Ensures that background and reference checks are conducted on youth partners in ministry.
- Ensures that all youth partners in ministry follow the policy guidelines.
- Organizes training events for partners in ministry.
- Ensures that all youth have proper registration and release forms on file.
- Develops the Annual Budget for the Youth and Young Adult Ministries.
- Assist youth and young adults in securing additional resources when necessary.
- Establishes Annual Budget request, reviews and monitors expenses throughout the year on a monthly basis for the Youth and Young Adult Ministries.
- Coordinates youth participation in youth church basketball league.
- Works with Belmont’s Staff Parish Relations Committee regarding any unusual issues or
problems that might arise.
- Updates youth and young adult policies and procedures as needed
- Oversees equipment and supplies.
- Participates in weekly staff meetings, called meetings, retreats and other staff events.
- Meets appropriate educational and experience requirements necessary to have an understanding for working with youth and adult volunteers. Christian Education or experience preferred.
- Compatibility with, Support of and Advocacy for our Missional Statement
- Possessing the cultural competence to lead where BUMC wants to go in support of our missions and values in regards to diversity, inclusion and justice.
- Understanding and support of Belmont’s unique youth ministry partnership with youth music ministry
- Has an ability to relate well with young people. A genuine love for youth, young adults, and their families and a commitment to their education and nurture as Christians.
- Has an understanding of and a commitment to the United Methodist doctrine.
- Previous experience in a large-membership church is preferred.
- A personal Christian commitment and an earnest desire to grow in the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Ability to organize and coordinate the complex youth and young adult Ministries of a large-membership church.
- Ability to recruit, support and equip our youth ministry partners. Ability to work with partners in ministry in a manner that motivates and enables them to develop confidence in their spiritual gifts and talents.
- Ability to work collegially and cooperatively with other staff, ministry partners, parents and volunteers.
- This is a full-time (40 hrs/wk) exempt staff position, requiring flexibility to meet the programmatic and seasonal needs of youth & young adult ministry.
- The Pastor with Youth and Young Adults is expected to take an active role in the life of Belmont United Methodist Church.
- A 3+ year commitment is desired to enable the continued formation of a sustainable youth & young adult ministry at BUMC.
- Relates to: Youth Ministry Team, Church Ministry Staff Team, Education Ministry Team, Ministry Council, Administrative Board, and other roles as assigned
Childcare positions open
Belmont UMC is hiring childcare workers to care for our youngest Belmonters on Sunday mornings from 9:00-11:45am. Childcare is also occasionally needed for special occasions. Even if you can only work a couple times a month, we will consider your application!